Friday, July 15, 2011

How to feel like an astronaut

Ellyn Ritterskamp

I started using the Airborne tablets a few years ago, anytime I get a tickle in my throat, or, as with this time, the nodes next to my jaw puff up at all (only a tiny bit, right now).

Airborne is essentially a superdose of Vitamin A and suchlike, created by a 2nd-grade teacher to boost our immune systems when we fly. There is so much crud swirling in planes that we can't get away from, is why we get sick more frequently when we fly. Also we tend to not be as vigilant about drinking lots of water then, which is the only way to keep those tissues moist so the crud doesn't lodge in there.

So. Airborne + the Keurig single-serve coffee machine. Yes, indeedy. These tablets are orange flavored and you dissolve them in water. Hot water or cold. So I thought I'd try the hot, and it's way yummier than the cold, for me. Like hot Tang. Like I am an astronaut.

Also, when you put it in the Keurig and let the hot water go in there, it fizzles in a truly cool way. I am very easily impressed.

What are your secrets to not getting sick, or holding it off a day or two when it's coming?

Onward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The FDA fined Airborn many millions because of its false advertising. It does NOT boost the immune system Why are you repeating the lie?

Anonymous said...

I apologize. I did not think of myself as repeating a lie, since I had not heard about the false advertising fine.

I just looked it up, and it seems to be the Federal Trade Commission who fined them, rather than the FDA. But they probably work together on such things.

The packaging I see doesn't make any claims, and says it is a dietary supplement, so they are to subject to the same rules as foods. Maybe they changed the packaging after the fine.

I guess I thought there was no harm in getting an extra zip of Vitamins A and C and some zinc when I want to ward off a cold. But if there is something more sinister afoot, it would be good to know about it.

Ellyn