Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Ramblin' Rose Report


Ellyn Ritterskamp

My mom and I did our first triathlon on Sunday. It is part of the Ramblin' Rose Tour, for women only (though about half the volunteers were men, and good for them). The atmosphere was so supportive, I encourage anyone who thinks it's too hard to trust me: If we can do this, you can do it.

I swam 225 yards and was not last (but close). Mom rode 9 miles on her bike and was not last (though close-ish). I ran 2 miles and was not last (but nearly). Mom trained at 7+ miles for several weeks; I trained by walking for a couple of weeks. We are sure that with proper preparation next year, we can trim lots of time off our totals. But we just wanted to finish, this time, and we did. Maybe in a few years we'll go solo. But much of the fun was doing it together, so maybe not.

There are other cities on the tour this season, though the Chapel Hill event is full. Huntersville has spots open, though I hear the bike ride part is more hilly than Rock Hill (almost completely flat), so you'd want to be prepared for that.

Next up for me is the Thunder Road half marathon, Nov. 12 in Charlotte. I will spend the next few weeks getting to where I am really running, even if super slowly. Then a 12-week program, then the run.

Last year Thunder Road was Dec. 10 or so; I think the move to early November will be a blessing for those of us who don't like the chill.

Onward.

1 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Congrats, Ellyn! I'm glad you had fun and that you've got your sights set on the next challenge.