Monday, July 11, 2011

Man does not get fat by bread alone....

Lawrence Toppman:

But it helps.

What a sneaky food bread is. First, it's naked, so it has to be clothed with butter or peanut butter of jam. Second, certain tasty types are full of simple carbohydrates which, as my wife likes to remind me, end up having the same effects on me as sugar.

So I felt guilty about eating one-third of a loaf of garlic bread with my eggplant parmigiana Saturday night, then mopping up the sauce with about a third of a loaf of sourdough, then sneaking the unused sourdough out of the restaurant in a napkin and reheating it at home the next night.

Not guilty enough to put down the bread, of course. Just guilty enough to slack off Sunday and eat very little else. And guilty enough not to climb on the scale this morning until after I'd exercised and sweated off some calories.

The result: I'm down to 181.5 pounds, 13 less than my starting weight. Really, this whole process continues to mystify me.

4 comments:

Rod said...

My wife says there are two kinds of bread. Good bread is brown and full of fiber, and it doesn't kick-start your blood sugar. Bad bread is white, with little fiber, and it's a blood sugar disaster.

It's easy to tell them apart. Good bread tastes bad. Bad bread tastes good.

Good bread is also diet bread; it tastes so bad, you don't eat it, so it's diet bread.

Anonymous said...

At 181.5 pounds, why are you trying to lose weight, Larry? I tip the scales at 205 and don't consider myself overweight, though I would like to see 175 again.

Anonymous said...

Carbs are the enemy if you are trying to lose weight. Bread, taters, corn, FRUIT, al;l seem innocent enough, even healthy eating, but they will put the weight on you.

Anonymous said...

I love the bad bread good bread Rod! Perfect explanation...