Monday, November 21, 2011

Pre-Thanksgiving thoughts

Lawrence Toppman

To be honest, my first thought is that one of America's biggest eating holidays won't be much fun with a UTI. I didn't think men were supposed to get those, but this appears to be my second in three years: Same appetite drop, same other symptoms I'm too polite to discuss here, same ingestion of pure cranberry juice (which, on the "I don't like it, so it must be healthy" scale, rates about a 5 out of 10).

And, of course, my SECOND thought as a weight-loss blogger is, I bet this helps me got closer to my goal. Yay! I needed a boost!

But what I've really meant to say is that the Thanksgiving season makes me grateful I'm in pretty good shape; I can afford to focus on knocking off another eight or 10 pounds, rather than on one of the health catastrophes that often affect men approaching 60.

That ranks pretty high on the list of things I'm grateful for, behind my remarkable wife and my funky but loving family and the opportunity to do the job I was destined to have. My blessings are many, right down to the fact that I can afford to buy nutritious food to stay on my weight-loss kick. So many people can't, you know, and the holiday season is especially tough on them. That's always worth keeping in mind.

0 comments: