Thursday, September 8, 2011

Mini-sins


Lawrence Toppman

The average guy in his late 50s who's trying to lose weight (that would be me) just isn't going to abandon sweets. He doesn't have to snarf cheesecake, but he needs some safe, sugary carbs to get him through the long hours after dinner.

So my new best friend, dessert-wise, are koulourakia, those twisted Greek cookies made with butter, sugar, eggs, flour, ouzo (upon occasion) and sesame seeds (which are optional, too). I get mine at Coffee Central (located where Central meets Louise) whenever I'm in the neighborhood, and they provide a sweet break with little guilt attached.

Unfortunately, like gateway drugs, they can lead to bigger sins: baklava, galaktoboureco and other delicacies. But like all incipient addicts, I'm pretty sure I can control my habit and stay at a low, relatively safe level of indulgence.

And there are no calories to speak of in cappuccino, right? Just sleep-denying caffeine and a buzz that gets me over the hump of a dull workday. As transgressions go, these are pretty modest ones. And abstinence is never gonna work for me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cappuccino has calories- the milk.

Brendan said...

Focus on eating right 6 days a week and on your "free day", eat & drink what you want. Do try to get one balanced meal on your free day.

Anonymous said...

People...just get over yourselves. For goodness sakes, you treat eating like it is a major felony. I spend 80% of my day doing things that fall well short of fun or pleasurable. When I get an opportunity to sample delicious, I am gonna do it. Do I exercise and eat in moderation most of the time? Yes. But other times, we eat because it makes our heart sing. Health in the body starts with health in the brain.