Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Learning to breathe

Ellyn Ritterskamp

Mental health is part of fitness, too. I did a quick exercise in class yesterday about how to breathe into your belly, and how to exhale for a long count, and the spookiest part of all: leaving a small space after you exhale, before starting to breathe in again. That little place is scary at first, but then exhilarating in a way I cannot describe. I think it is different for each of us.

I did the breathing thing because when I asked the students to choose a virtue to work on in themselves, several mentioned anger and patience. Learning how to lower our blood pressure and heart rate helps alleviate some of those issues.

Dr. Andrew Weil's 4-7-8 breathing exercise is here, along with some other breathing exercises: http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART00521/three-breathing-exercises.html

Be well.

0 comments: