Monday, December 5, 2011

Sisyphus knew

Lawrence Toppman:

I have checked my calendar, and I see the only holiday observed today is Ashura, which marks the climax of the remembrance of Muharram. (It's commemorated by Shia Muslims as a day of mourning for Husayn ibn Ali, grandson of Muhammad, on the 10th of Muharram in the year 680.) So I believe we could name this National Sisyphus Day, too.

Readers of Greek mythology will recall Sisyphus as the first king of Corinth and an all-around scuzball. He seduced his niece, slew travelers, tried to whack his brother and thought he was more clever than Zeus, who consigned him to a terrible task in Hades: Sisyphus had to roll a boulder uphill for eternity. Each time he reached the top, the stone rolled back down to the bottom (over him, some sources say).

This could be a metaphor for losing weight. I was back up to 184 pounds today, partly because of a condition I don't wish to describe here. Despite relatively careful eating, the stone has slipped from my grasp and rolled partway -- though not all the way -- down that hill.

Fortunately, I have learned persistence this year and did not dance up and down on the scale in a mad rage. (When I do that, it adds half a pound, anyhow.) I'm obviously not a hare, so I'll have to be a patient tortoise throughout this process.


1 comments:

Doug S. said...

Lawrence, I love your positive attitude. Managing health (including weight) is not a short-term thing like a sprint. You're in it for the long haul. Keeping that in perspective can help when you hit bumps in the road.

So keep doing the good things like being mindful of what you eat, how much of it you eat, and make sure you stay active. The rest should work itself out in the long run.