Wednesday, March 2, 2011

G-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-A-L


Ellyn Ritterskamp

Some of you know I signed up for last December's Thunder Road Marathon. My friend Lynn Kelly got into the New York City marathon for her first one in November, and she raised over $13,000 for Alzheimer's research to get that entry. In solidarity, I pledged to train along with her.

Life threw some curves at me work-wise last fall, and I was unable to train properly. Also, I never got to where I could really run for very long. But I was ready to walk 26 miles that day. I did enjoy those 8 and 10-mile walks (my longest was 13).

Then on race day, just after mile 7, it began clear I was not going to be able to stay ahead of the guy picking up the mile markers. I had not raised any pledge money, so I didn't try to stay out there with an achy leg. I invented the quarter marathon, as it turned out.

This year I have set my sights on a more attainable goal: the half marathon - and Thunder Road has moved their date to early November so it's likely to be weather I like better.

Lynn ran her first marathon at age 55 and did it in under 5 hours. That still blows me away, four months later.

This year, I'll meet my goal.

Onward.

0 comments: