Saturday, March 12, 2011

Latte to the party


Ellyn Ritterskamp

I am giving up my several-times-a-week hazelnut lattes at Caribou Coffee. I will still go there on the way to work, but back to the regular coffee with a little sugar and cream rather than all those extra calories from the syrup and steamed milk. Three or four of those a week is enough calories to be worth considering.

I am not thinking I have a sugar addiction (I don't like cake much, or crave cookies, or like that), but this will be a good test. I did lose 12 pounds last fall when everything sweet tasted horrible due to a temporary crown with zinc in the adhesive.

So it can be done. I'd rather be moderate than prohibitive, though. What has worked for you, as far as small places to trim calories?

Thanks.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Have you thought of Weight Watchers? It teaches you portion control and how to eat all of the things you love in moderation. I have had huge success with it ~ I determined that what I already knew wasn't enough to work, I needed some direction. WW gave me that.

Anonymous said...

This sounds weird- but I don't eat things I don't like, even if they are healthy. I would never waste calories on oatmeal, nutrition bars, wheat bread... I also never waste calories on Girl Scout cookies and doritoes.... unless I really enjoy it, I don't eat it. Along with things like pizza and home made cookies, I really like asparagus, eggwhites, all sorts of fruits, cottage cheese.... So I eat a lot of the healthy things I like and a little of the unhealthy things. :-)

Also, read labels. Many times reading a label has made me return an item to the shelf. And before you eat out, go online - chains will have calorie count. I was SHOCKED to see my favorite "light" salad had 800 calories. Haven't had one since.