Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Taking that first step is often the hardest part of working out


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

After a little time off, I had to get back to my running schedule last week. It was hard to get back into it after a few days off, but my legs seemed to remember how to run.

It just took me a while to get myself out there again. I spent much of last week feeling tired and a little under the weather. I'd come home from work and feel much more inclined to rest or nap than throw on my running gear and head outside.

Sometimes the hardest part of working out for me is taking that first step. It can be so hard to stay motivated and do what I know is good for me rather than do what I'm more inclined to do (which is curl up with a book or movie in my cozy living room). The internal debate process can be exhausting. Then, after I've thought through all the pros and cons, I'm worn out just from thinking about going for a workout.

I finally went to the gym for a short four-mile run on Wednesday. Then I didn't run again until the weekend, when I finally (FINALLY) made myself take this training seriously again.

And, of course, my 10-mile run wasn't nearly as bad as I'd feared it would be. I started hurting a little around mile seven, but by then I only had three miles to go (I can do anything for the time it takes me to run three miles, I thought). I pushed through, went home, stretched and hydrated. And I feel ready to go for the week.

I'll be out of town again this weekend and out of my normal routine. I'm hoping to dive right back in when I return and not put it off for so long. I really don't have that much time to spare between now and race day.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm about to start training to run a 5K (and the hopefully a 10K, and then hopefully a half-marathon, and then hopefully a marathon). And I'm drawing some inspiration from your running posts. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks for reading and good luck with your training. I'd love to hear how it goes.