Thursday, March 24, 2011

The impossible dream

Lawrence Toppman:

Things that don't exist, never did and never will: El Dorado, Atlantis, world peace and (most importantly, now that I'm hungry again) the perfect food.

By this I mean something that 1) I could eat in reasonably large quantities with no harm to my waistline and 2) I can find easily and 3) tastes delicious and does not cloy the appetite. Really, I think such a thing is a chimera. Blueberries come closest for me, but -- no, not perfect.

One can eat 3-ounce portions of almost anything alluring, but I'm still hungry at the end, and my taste buds scream for more. I can stuff myself on things I like in small quantities (carrots, oatmeal, apples), but I get tired of those after a few days. I have bent my mind to this problem while walking the inescapable treadmill, but without success.

Why didn't God or Nature (or whatever force you'd name) make Brussels sprouts as delicious as chocolate mousse, or pumpkin scones as nutritious as broccoli? The day I learn the answer to that, I'll expect to find a leprechaun at the end of the rainbow in my back yard.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's my mantra..... Nothing tastes as good as skinny feels.

Say it and believe it.

Anonymous said...

Why did no comments ever appear on "My scale must be broken. That's it!"...I know of at least one person who commented on that one!

Anonymous said...

try Weight Watchers ~ it will change your life!

Anonymous said...

I tried WW- my eyes got a workout as much as they rolled! The meetings are a joke- nothing 'new' you haven't heard 50 million times before. And the 10 pounds I did happen to lose: not worth the hunger I endured and the moodiness and witchiness everyone around me had to endure. Plus I "plateau-ed" as they called it, after losing 10 pounds.

maybe nothing tastes as good as skinny feels- but I'll take fat and happy (with friends and a husband) than alone and skinny anyday!

Anonymous said...

It is possible to make vegetables as satisfying as a dessert. It's how you prepare them, what you pair with them, and how much of it you eat. No food is perfect - a mix of nutrients, tastes (sweet, salty, sour, bitter, spicy, smoky, creamy) and textures will satisfy. Look to Indian and Asian cooking for "dessert" spices such as cardamom, cinnamon, cloves. Olive oil as a dressing, add raisins or cut up nectarines to sweeten, fresh lime juice, even salt - yes, a little salt can improve vegetables. Never deny yourself your favorite treat. Allow yourself one day each week to eat your favorite "bad" food/dessert one time in the proper proportion. And always eat sitting down, and not in the car; make eating special and you'll be more apt to be satisfied.