Tuesday, March 1, 2011

This was my hardest run so far

Elizabeth Templin McCamic

I hit a new wall over the weekend when I went for my eight-mile run. It was by far the hardest run I’ve been on so far during my half marathon training.


From the beginning, my legs did not want to move. I felt sluggish and tired, my muscles were achy and I was moving so slowly. After the first three miles, I was pretty sure I wasn’t going to make it. It felt like I’d already been running for hours and I had to stop and walk a few paces a couple of times, something I’ve never had to do before.


I told myself I at least had to make it a few more miles. By mile six, the idea of running two more miles, a distance that normally doesn’t seem like much, felt impossible.


During the last two miles, I reminded myself that it would only be about 20 more minutes of running. I thought of this blog and how I needed to stay accountable and not give up. And I thought about how much harder my next big milestone would be if I didn't finish this one. Somehow I kept moving and pushed through. But it wasn’t pretty.


When I was back at home, my husband asked me how it had gone as I walked through the front door, and I burst into tears. The frustration of the bad run had gotten to me. I was wiped out and wondering how I’d ever be able to add five more miles by race day.


I’m still not certain about making it to 13 miles, but I’m going to get back out there this week and see how it goes. Tonight, I’ll start out with a six-mile run. I’m hoping it’s easier today and that all that pain from the weekend pays off.

4 comments:

Matt W said...

Way to push through. Increasing miles can definitely be tough. But you now know you can do 8. And there is nothing wrong with walking breaks. In fact you should be taking in water and/or gatorade or other snack (sport gel) as you do longer runs. These make a walking break feel more justified.

I have followed and read about many people running longer distances. I have actually been there and built up to a marathon and more. So now I want to contradict you.

You said, "I hit a new wall over the weekend when I went for my eight-mile run." I say you broke through a wall and accomplished a new distance. And you said, "I’m still not certain about making it to 13 miles." I say I am certain you can. Your attitude and accomplishments thus far make me certain.

Struggling during and crying after is okay. That which don't kill you can only make you stronger. If you look back over previous blog entries, you may see a theme here: "I ran the five miles, but it was an act of pure will." And now I bet 5 miles doesn't seem so tough. :)

Anonymous said...

When I was training for my marathon, there were days when I could barely run- felt like I had lead legs. I'd click of 10 miles one day then 3 or 4 days later I could barely go a mile. Keep at it- you'll have good and bad days- bet your next run goes great!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for the encouraging words. I am hoping my next couple runs go a little bit better. I'm going to keep pushing through.

It's true that my five- and six-mile runs have gotten much easier. I can't wait until eight and nine miles feels easier.

It helps to know there are folks out there cheering me on and folks who have been through this before.

Thank you!

Anonymous said...

Sometimes you have bad runs, but don't let it get you down and you will make it to 13.1 miles! I ran my first Half Marathon this past December and it was hard but I pushed thru and now I can't wait to tackle another one. The longest run I did in my training was 10 miles. Good luck!