Monday, April 11, 2011

Eating backwards

Lawrence Toppman:

First, the good news: I'm at 188 today, which means I have lost 6.5 pounds since January 1. I did indeed fit into my wedding suit for the Charlotte Symphony Concerts last weekend without holding my breath for two hours.

Now the bad news: I think I've discovered the best way yet to lose weight, and I don't want to do it.

I've always heard that it's better for our bodies -- not just for weight loss, but for digestive purposes -- to have a substantial meal at midday and something lighter in the evening. Circumstances forced me into that situation for most of the last seven days. Sure enough, it worked. (I lost a pound and a half in a week.) But this flies in the face of 56 years of habit.

My regimen has always been to exercise, shower, buy a sandwich en route to work, eat the sandwich and fruit brought from home, have dinner about 6:30 or 7, have light dessert about 11. Now I'm supposed to reverse that procedure? Well, maybe. At least I'd have an excuse if I fell asleep at my desk again -- too many carbs, boss!

1 comments:

Bubba said...

Toppie, watch the FATHEAD documentary on Hulu or Netflix, it will change your life!