Thursday, April 14, 2011

The last temptation of Larry

Lawrence Toppman

So far this year, I have successfully fought off the desire to eat PB&J sandwiches at midnight, to crash sheet-cake parties, to have 37 jelly beans at a time instead of 7, to think of muffins as relatively harmless and to overindulge at free lunches. (I had a salad and fruit at the Mt. Holly Rotary meeting today, where I spoke. Friendly folks.)

Now comes the biggest temptation of all: vacation. I'll be off next week with constant access to goodies and that deadly "Hey, let's have a complete break with daily routine" feeling.

Time off for me -- family gatherings, holidays, trips to places with great new restaurants -- has traditionally been a visit to Indulgence City. For some people with fidelity issues, illicit sex doesn't "count" if it takes place more than 100 miles from home. But the intimacy I fear involves chocolate chip cheesecake, especially when I can do what I want 24 hours a day.

So next week, there'll be no weighing and no schedule and no limits, unless I impose them on myself. I wonder what'll happen.

2 comments:

Matt W said...

Or try this: Vacation, a time to run, bike, walk, swim, etc. in a new area without worries of making it to work on time. Throw frisbee, shoot hoops, or play tennis with loved ones you don't see as much when at home.

Hate me now and believe me later: The active lifestyle enjoys vacation beyond eating and resting.

Anonymous said...

I agree- vacation can also be a chance to take a good long hike, play all day in the sun, enjoy a run in a new place. I have LOST weight on many vacations (and still enjoyed my meals, desserts etc.) simply because the free time was spent being active. My fave trip is heading out west and hiking and/or riding every day. You don't even know you are exercising.