Tuesday, April 26, 2011

I'm looking for a new routine


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

Now that my half marathon training is behind me, I'm working on finding a new routine.

I am definitely going to continue running. Now that I've trained my legs to go long distances, I'd like to keep it that way in case I decide to run another race later in the year. I also have come to really enjoy running. I'd miss it, if I just stopped.

But, when I started this project, I wanted to do more than train for a half marathon, which is all I've had time for so far.

I'd like to add some strength training and to try out some different sports and activities. I'd also like to develop a new routine, since I tend to do my best work when I'm accountable to a schedule.

I'm not exactly sure what this new routine is going to look like. I don't know a lot about strength training, so if you have any tips - especially for strength training for women - I'm all ears.

For now, I'm running, trying out a few classes at my gym and finding my way.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I take strength training classes at the Dowd YMCA. I love them and having a class to attend makes me more accountable to go. They have classes early in the mornings, evenings, and weekends to fit a busy schedule. I personally like the early morning classes because something always comes up in the evenings. And the classes are about 80% female. I believe all Y's in Charlotte have similar schedules. I have been doing these classes 2 to 3 times a week now for 2 years and I've noticed a change in my body and have increased my running pace without really trying.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks Jaclyn! Great tip.

Doug S. said...

Elizabeth, I also just completed my first half-marathon at RaceFest. I've taken about a week off, focusing on easy walks or short runs. Now I'm back to 2 spin classes a week, one yoga class a week, and 3 runs a week. Not the same distance as when I was getting ready for the race, but I'll get the milage back up.

Just find things that keep you interested. I definitely like feeling fit, and would hate giving up the healthy lifestyle. Whatever makes you smile, go out and do it: running, hiking, group exercise classes, yoga, etc. There's always the Thunder Road marathon in November......