Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Plain vanilla is cool, too


Ellyn Ritterskamp

Vanilla is good.

I mean vanilla protein powder, mixed with a banana, strawberries, ice and milk, and blended. I have been experimenting with whey protein powder I bought at Carolina Smoothies - my favorite smoothies shop ever. I am still working on the right combination of the ingredients, as the recommended ratio (1/4 cup of powder to 4 oz. of water) just sucks for me. But as long as the scoop of protein powder is in there, the rest of it shouldn't matter too much. Whatever it takes, to make it drinkable.

It is relatively low in sugar, and it does indeed taste pretty good (it's what they use at the smoothies shop), so it's just about finding the right combination.

No problem!

3 comments:

Kconrad84 said...

Just a suggestion - try whey protein isolate. It's a little pricier, but it's all of the good stuff (...protein) and almost none of the "filler," which often consists of unnecesary carbs, cholesterol, fat, refined sugars, etc. It also mixes easier and is absorbed into the bloostream more rapidly to aid in tissue reparation. Also, keep in mind the best way to get a protein infusion is through whole foods - not powder. Skinless grilled chicken, tuna/salmon, and eggs are great for this, but try Greek yogurt for a low, low fat protein dose and quinoa (mediterranean grain) is loaded with protein and other nutrients....

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the breakdown.

The first ingredient says it is micro-filtered and ion-exchange whey protein concentrate and isolate. Per serving: 125 calories, 1.5g fat, 1.5g carb, .5g sugars, 26g protein. Seems like good tradeoffs.

After eggs, my favorite food for protein is 1% milkfat cottage cheese, as I dislike yogurt. I haven't had any in a while - thanks for the goose!

Ellyn

JS Grame-Smith said...

Hi. I made it and i really enjoyed it. Vanilla is my favorite flavor. Thanks for the sharing.
-whey protein powder