Wednesday, April 27, 2011

It's just breathing


Ellyn Ritterskamp

Breathe in through my nose, a count of 8. Hold for 4. Out through my mouth for a count of 7.

Funny thing, breathing. We have all these automatic systems in our bodies, that we don't control - they just happen. And then we have other systems that we influence by thinking about them. breathing is where these two kinds of things intersect. When we get a nice slow breath going, the pulse and blood pressure come down. And they stay down longer.

In 8, hold 4, out 7. It's the hold, just a tick longer than I think I can, that seems to make the difference.

Do that five or six times, and I can get through anything. I learned it from Dr. Andrew Weil maybe ten years ago, and passed it along to my ethics classes this past week. Several students wrote in their journals that they are learning to do this when they get in the car, and now they don't get so upset at other drivers, or at waiting in line, or at everything else.

Win. For all of us.

0 comments: