Friday, May 6, 2011

A dark cloud to my silver lining

The good news is, I've lost 10 pounds since I started January 1. I hit the magic double figure at noon today, when my scale teetered electronically and fell in my favor at 184.5 pounds. My cats clustered around to see who was croaking with joy. Maybe they thought I was a toad that had gotten into the house somehow and need to be chased back out.

The bad news is, I still don't sound fully human. The cold is in day 6 -- mine tend to last the full 10 or more -- and I'm supposed to sing full-out by Tuesday's dress rehearsal for "H.M.S. Pinafore." (On the other hand, the sailor suit will fit better.)

So my sudden success is due to illness, not will power. I still can't taste or smell food at all. I went to Meskerem, an Ethiopian place I like, for lunch today and could almost make out the flavor of the spicy chickpeas. So in a way, this part of the weight loss seems like cheating: If food yielded no sensory pleasures, almost anyone could drop weight all the time.

The real test will come when chocolate tastes different from cheese, and macaroons and macaroni provide distinctly different rewards. Until then, I'll be grateful for looser pants and try to find a way to continue the success when I'm back in health.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You went to a dine in restaurant with a cold you can't seem to get rid of while still symptomatic. Wow, thank you.