Monday, May 23, 2011

"It's better to look good than to feel good"

Lawrence Toppman

"If you know what I'm saying, and I think you do." That was Billy Crystal's tag phrase when he impersonated Fernando Lamas on "Saturday Night Live." (Does anyone remember Lamas, mega-tanned Latino star of MGM musicals of the 1950s? For that matter, does anyone remember Crystal?)

I thought of that phrase today, because I slumped onto the scale this morning expecting bad news. Instead, I found out I've lost another half-pound, though I haven't exercised much this past week. I'm down to 184 pounds, so I've dropped 10.5, and I feel pretty good (if a bit guilty).

Yes, I know this is deceptive. I know that, although my pants sag a bit -- I'm in that between-sizes place where you don't get a new wardrobe yet -- this doesn't mean I'm in the pink of condition internally. I know I need to befriend the machine that waits patiently in what my wife and I now call "the treadmill room."

Nor am I convinced I can lose another 9.5 pounds merely through portion control. At the same time, I'm pleasantly surprised that my laxness hasn't caught up with me yet. I should take steps, literally, to make sure it doesn't. Yeah, that's the ticket!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

You made me smile at the thought of Lamas and Crystal. I think I will rent a Crystal film this weekend. That's when comedy was funny! Anyway...sounds like you need a little tough love this week. Get your butt in gear and sweat! Imagine how good you'll LOOK. You will also be able to drop the guilt which is the beginning of the end to most attempts for weight loss. I lost weight so i wouldnt miss my child's childhood. I'd come home from work and want to go to bed or lay on the couch rather than be with my precious boy. Why? I had no energy left for him. My favorite game was hide and seek so I could lay down behind the couch while he looked for me. Still makes me cringe. After losing the weight - portion comtrol + exercise - I eventually looked better too (size 12 to a size 2 - I am only 5 ft tall) but as I lost the weight I gained energy which caused me to want to move and the pounds (40) fell off after 40 years of letting them weigh me down. GET MOVING. And with that smile, you already look mahr-va-lus!