Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Staying on track when you're out of town


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

Like a lot of people, I am getting ready to go out of town this weekend. We are going to a wedding and visiting family.

While I'm looking forward to this time away from home and my normal routine, I've also been thinking about how I can stay on track with my fitness goals.

When I was dieting more seriously a few years ago, there were a few things I'd do to make sure I would stay on track. Even now, it's good to have a reminder. I've been working hard and I don't want to blow it on one weekend away.

So here are a few tips as the season of vacations and outdoor parties and barbecues begins.

1. I drink a lot of water each day while I'm at home. It helps me keep hunger at bay and keeps me hydrated. I make sure to drink plenty of water when I'm away, too. Just because I'm on vacation doesn't mean my good habits also need to go on vacation.

2. When I go to a party, I try to bring something healthy to eat to share or pick just one or two things to eat. Having too many options can lead to eating more than I planned. I try to pick the most healthy option, when there is one. When I go out of town, I try not to skip any meals and try to keep breakfast simple because it's usually the meal I have the most control over (just a little cereal for me, please).

3. The same thing goes for drinks. I try to stick to water or just one type of drink (and then keep it to not too many drinks).

4. When I go out of town, I pack some healthy snacks to munch on in the car or when I get hungry and there's no other option. Eating a healthy snack means I'll be less likely to overeat at meals (when there might be fewer good options).

5. I also try to stay active while I'm out of town. I'll go for a long walk and make sure to take the stairs when I can. Carrying luggage up and down stairs can be a good mini workout. This weekend I'll be keeping up with the 100-day burpee challenge.

These are just a few ideas. Please feel free to share your tips in the comments. I'd love to hear from you.

1 comments:

Matt W said...

I love going for a run in a new place. It is a great way to see an area. But if the area isn't good for that or time is limited, I hope for a hotel gym for either a treadmill, weight machine or both.

And I, too, use the stairs when possible. Have a good trip!