Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Weight training requires patience


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

So far I am not loving weight training.

I'm probably not giving it a fair chance, since it's only been a week since I started incorporating weight lifting to my workouts. Perhaps it will grow on me. I hope so.

I think my biggest problem with weight training is that it makes for a slow workout and it takes more time to see results. It's also one more workout I have to make time for, which is probably not the best way for me to approach a new routine.

I don't always know if I'm getting a good workout when I lift weights. I'll do a couple of sets, go home and not feel sore until the next day. With running I know I'm working hard the whole time. I'm sweating, my legs feel tired and when I go to bed after a long run, I sleep really well. I just don't get that out of weight training.

And it's hard to tell if I'm actually getting stronger. In the past, when I've done regular weight training, I've not noticed a lot of change.

I'm hoping this time will be different. I would love to be stronger and a little more toned. I just need to find the right combination of workouts. And I need to be patient.

And to update you on the 100-day burpee challenge, it's going pretty well. We did a good job sticking with our daily commitments last week and the burpees are starting to get easier. I worked on my form, which really made a difference. I was letting my back bend when I lifted up into the pushup and that made it more difficult to transition to the squat to standing.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

OK so a week after you start you are worried about seeing results? Here is how it works. First of all you need to know how to calculate your optimum weight. To find that I think likely you should be exhausted- unable to continue at 10-12 reps (assuming you are not bulking). Your muscles will help process more calories as they strengthen and heal, revealing more of what you have built. You should try either a 30 minute circuit 2 days or concentrate on a few body parts each day for 2-3 days. Most of your time though should be cardio. Yeah it will take a while to see results but you will slow bone loss and muscle loss associated with aging and enable your body to burn more calories when you are resting. Time is always an issue but it will be worth it to improve your health. Gains should come in the 1 lb per month sort of range- assuming you have little fat to burn. Results take time but will last.

Matt W said...

To feel like you are getting a workout, circuit training is the way to go. Pick 3 or 4 exercises (e.g., biceps, triceps, shoulders, and abs) and do them in succession with no rest (there is a bit of rest as you switch weights or machines or whatever). After doing all of them, lather, rinse and repeat.

I found a group of 10 exercises on the Men's Health website called the Spartacus Workout. After doing all of those 3 times and I'm as worked as doing a 6 mile run.

Anonymous said...

I agree I've tried the Spartacus Workout on Men's Health and it will literally kick your butt. I'm currently doing a modified Spartacus workout by doing 10 different cardio exercises, each a minute in length, for 10 mins with a 15 sec break in between. You want to talk about brutal it's really tough, so give it a try! :-)

Anonymous said...

Elizabeth is likely very close to her optimum weight - she is in this to learn new activities, not so much to lose weight, like Lawrence and me.

Elizabeth, yes, give it another couple of weeks, and if it isn't making you tired enough, we should bump up the weights a little more.

Ellyn

Anonymous said...

Hmm, I'm wondering what weight training exercises you are doing and just how much intensity you are putting in it. And perhaps maybe you are not lifting heavy enough weights.

When I weight train, especially doing compound movements like squats, my heart rate goes up & I definitely sweat. What type of program are you following?

Anonymous said...

check out New Rules of Lifting for Women.