Friday, May 27, 2011

Triathlon time!


Ellyn Ritterskamp

Triathlon time! My mom and I are doing a team sprint triathlon on July 10, just six weeks away. I'll swim 250 meters, Mom will bike 10 miles, and I'll run 2 miles. Yes, she has the bulk of the work. She rides all the time, though, and can knock that part out with no problem.

I've adapted a training program from Self magazine, switching out the biking days for more running and swimming.

Week 1-2 (two rest days): Day 1: Run 20 minutes. Day 2: Swim 10 laps, resting 20 seconds between laps. Day 3: Run 20 minutes. Day 4: Swim 10 laps, resting 20 seconds between laps. Day 5: Run 30 minutes.

Weeks 3/4 and 5/6 are six days of activity instead of five, and gradually increase the times/distances. I may doing a bike day those weeks just for the variety.

Onward.

0 comments: