Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Feeling funny about a flu shot


Ellyn Ritterskamp

I will be getting a flu shot tomorrow, even though I don't want to. It's not a fear of needles or anything like that. I read a couple of years ago about how the pharmaceutical companies had made too much vaccine, and they got the CDC to convince everyone they should get a shot, so they could use up all the product. That was a big turnoff.

Also, I've never had the flu. I did have strep throat once, and would go a long way to avoid THAT again.

I finally got a flu shot last year when someone convinced me it was a good idea since I interact with lots of students at UNCC, to help keep them safe.

I still wonder if some of it is about profit and product, though. The vaccines are tailored each year to the most common strains of that season, but there have got to be other strains still out there.

It is minimal inconvenience (a little reaction to the shot) for potentially good reward, so I'll do it. But it still feels funny.

Onward.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have no idea what this blog post is about. Don't get the flu shot if you don't want it.

Anonymous said...

Ditto the above comment - I find it ironic that you are a part-time ethics professor and don't seem to be bothered by the pharma/governmental ties going on behind the scenes during vaccine manufacturing.
Anyway you look at it...do your research (you are correct about it only taking care of a few strains), find out what is in each vaccination and how long testing (if testing has been done...it not always is for a decent amount of time) has been done on that particular brand of the vaccination you will receive...and don't get one if you don't want one. In NC you have a choice...at least for now.