Monday, October 3, 2011

How to lose 10 ugly pounds right away!


Lawrence Toppman:

The answer, as third-graders across America know: Cut off your head. (Although that really only results in the loss of six pounds or so, I'm told. And life.)

I thought of that joke this weekend, when I leafed through weight-loss ads in our own paper and glossy magazines. They all promised to knock weight off fast Fast FAST! None advertised gradual, long-lasting results, the kind that might stay with you.

We're an impatient society, we Americans. We think in days or weeks at most. When we don't reach goals promptly -- preferably, without much sacrifice -- we decide they're not worth pursuing. That's why so many people quit diets so quickly. (It may also be why they don't want to believe in global warming or the depletion of fossil fuels; those problems can't be solved quickly and conveniently.)

Weight loss doesn't work that way. I've dropped another pound since Thursday: I'm at 181.5, 13 pounds below my starting weight. But I'll go up again from time to time, and I'm inching toward my goal. I may reach it slowly, but even glaciers get where they're going at last.

4 comments:

tmp said...

Keep up the good work! I just finished my first week of following doctor's orders to diet, exercise, and take meds in order to counteract Type 2 Diabetes. Changing bad habits is never easy but I'm determined to succeed.

Anonymous said...

Great job! Even though the 'quick fixes' might be tempting, I think it's more important to learn how to eat right for the long haul. Learning how to pick ourselves back up after having a day or a meal of not eating so great is a good skill to have and will make a difference in the long run.

Sasi said...

The promise of instant gratification attracts people to weight loss programs. Proper planning and consistent efforts are required to achieve anything. Starting with small changes in lifestyle can help lose weight and prevent it from coming back. And 13 pounds is definitely good riddance.

Italia said...

This book is fantastic! It is divided into 3 categories, Self, Science, and Sweat.In Self, she teaches you how to build a support groups and revamp your negative self image and filter out those individuals in your life that are harmful to your health. She also provides a test to find out what type of 'oxidizer' (the way you burn nutrients) you are which helps you decide your nutrition plan.