Thursday, October 27, 2011

Half a &^%$#@! ounce?

Lawrence Toppman

I made Pumpkin Pie for Dummies yesterday, using a can of pre-spiced pumpkin pie filling and a pie shell too battered to be reassembled for a quiche. I wanted to disguise this culinary Quasimodo before presenting it to my wife, so I stopped by the supermarket for whipping cream.

The label on the half-pint said it should be good for 16 servings. This meant that, after whipping it into froth, I was supposed to spread the eight ounces over 16 pieces of pie. Say what?

Who would eat these minuscule segments, mice? Nursing infants? Now that I think of it, the can of pumpkin pie filling suggested a round, 9-inch pie pan should supply either 10 or 12 servings, I forget which. I guess those would be four pieces for adult humans and six or eight for the brownies who clean my house while I'm asleep.

Maybe that's why so many of us get careless about calories: We see that a "serving" of whipped cream has only 100 calories, think a half-pint yields 6 or 8 servings, then gasp when we get on the scale. I know the responsibility for vigilance (and basic math) lies with the eater, but couldn't labels could be more realistic?

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Are you retarded? Get the whipped cream in a can, it's only 15 calories or something. If you had actually made a pie from scratch and not from a can of pumpkin pie filling (did you bother to look at the ingredients?), it would be worthy of proper whipped cream.