Thursday, October 6, 2011

No-news news


Lawrence Toppman

I have realized, nine months after starting this blog, that it's simply not possible to have news about my diet twice a week. Yet it's been...er...suggested (by a boss, and you know what kind of suggestion THAT is) that I don't miss a Monday or Thursday, unless I'm on vacation or in the hospital.

Now, a columnist with a massive ego would consider that every food-related event, every stale saltine with brownish cheddar cheese on top (snarfed down to clean out the fridge) would be worthy of an essay about American eating habits. My ego's big enough, but it's not the size of Lake Michigan.

So today we have no news. I proceed cautiously, I do at least 30 minutes each weekday on the treadmill (no matter how much my 57-year-old legs beg me to shower without exercising); I parcel out the Greek cookies I love so much. And so I move slowly toward the 36-inch waist that's my true goal, much more than actual lost poundage.

I promise to come up with something stimulating Monday....

0 comments: