Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The ice bath, adapted


Ellyn Ritterskamp

I had forgotten from last year's try at the Thunder Road marathon, that the book I used recommended sitting in ice after a long run (mine are walks, but still).

I tried it last week after a long walk, and I'm going to compromise. My feet love the ice, but sitting in it is a bit much. So I dump the ice in the tub with cold water about 4 inches deep, and sit on the edge for as long as I can stand that. Then I get in the shower and do the hot water all over and keep my feet in the ice until it melts, which is longer than I thought it would be.

The ice and ibuprofen treatment immediately on returning home seems to prevent the worst of the whining the next day.

Today is 10 miles, tomorrow 4. Next week is 11 and 5, then 12 and 6, and then the half-marathon on Nov. 12. They moved it up a month from early December, which makes me way happy.

Onward.

0 comments: