Thursday, June 9, 2011

Abstinence makes the heart grow fonder

Lawrence Toppman

And I'm not referring to sex, though I suppose that's also the case for most of us. I was thinking instead about muffins.

I haven't had one in weeks, so I bought a morning glory muffin today at Julia's Coffee. My conscience took satisfaction in the idea that Habitat for Humanity would get a half-dollar or so, and my stomach will get a more immediate thrill tonight.

When I started cutting back on sweets, I thought my body would adjust and begin to want them less. I've never been a donut-gorger, and I haven't shown a propensity for alcohol, nicotine, gambling or any other kind of addictive indulgence.

I've also tried to satisfy myself with sweet things in nature, such as raisins and figs. I've tried to convince myself that peanut butter on whole wheat bread qualifies as a dessert. (It does not, but it'll put an extra millimeter on your thighs.) I can't justify a coconut muffin with vanilla icing until I drop another few pounds, but the body has to get a reward once in a while that isn't too sinful.

1 comments:

Shanna said...

I'm a dessert girl which doesn't usually go well with dieting so I've become obsessed with the Cowrageous chocolate pudding. Gluten free. 100 calories. A little bit larger of a container than the jellos. So yummy! (in the fridge section)