Friday, June 10, 2011

Something is fishy here


Ellyn Ritterskamp

I wonder if I'm turning into a summer vegetarian.

I grew up not eating certain meats anyway, and right now, I just don't want any of it, except sometimes tuna or chicken salad. A server at a restaurant we frequent says it's just too hot, which kind of clicked into place for me. I always crave fruit anyway, and right now when it's hot, it seems like I could just live on it.

Ever since I started teaching ethics, and reading about how some animals are raised, it's been easy to edge toward real vegetarianism. But it will be a long while before I have any issues eating fish - I just can't imagine that they are self-aware.

So, next up is learning how to cook fish at home. I've tried it a time or two, but seems like now is a good time to make a project out of it. Please send me recipes if you have them.

3 comments:

Jason said...

Not sure I can help with a recipe, but tilapia and salmon are both really good on the grill. 2-3 minutes on each side (or so) and they're done. Pretty easy. And if the price scares you away -- check Trader Joe's. Have tried both from there and the frozen to the grill was good, and cheaper than the grocery stores. Just a little lemon squeezed over the fish + some grilled squash and onions and other veggies makes a relatively easy/healthy/quick dinner!

Anonymous said...

Perfect, thanks!

Ellyn

Kevin Decker said...

I regularly use this recipe for Tuna Burgers on the grill I found on the Sam the Cooking Guy website. It's quick, easy, and best of all my kids love it.

Grilled Tuna Burgers

Four 6 ounce tuna fillets
4 burger buns, maybe something interesting like a good wheat or multi-grain
Red leaf lettuce
Olive oil
Salt & pepper
1/4 cup mayo (I use fat free plain yogurt instead)
2 tablespoons capers
2 tablespoons red onion, diced
Juice of 1/2 lemon

Steps

Lightly drizzle tuna with oil and season with salt & pepper
Combine mayo, capers, onion and lemon juice - mix well and set aside
Heat grill to medium high and cook tuna until both sides are well marked, but tuna is still rare in the middle
Toast buns, spread on some sauce and top with lettuce
Place finished tuna fillet on top and have at it.