Monday, June 27, 2011

Don't worry, be skinny

Lawrence Toppman

You needn't be a genius to know that you're likelier to succeed at anything -- weight loss included -- if you're in a happier frame of mind. But I wonder whether improvements in my psyche may have affected my waistline.

Over the last eight months, I've tried to change a lot of things. I've become less of a control freak. I've approached life more spontaneously, with less planning. I've tried not to let my mild OCD feelings swamp me. I still hate the song "Don't Worry, Be Happy," but I probably live by it a little more.

No longer do I obsess about a bad weight week or the stuffed feeling I have after indulging in one night of peanut butter cheesecake. (But I limit the indulgence to one night.) I don't kick myself if I oversleep and bag my morning exercise routine. (Though I get back to it the next day.)

And when I weighed myself this morning, I came in at an even 183, 11.5 pounds less than I weighed half a year ago. Maybe my state of mind is affecting my state of flab.

2 comments:

JoAnn G. said...

woo-hoo. enjoy your blog despite the smutty hed. 11.5 lbs. is great. jrg

J said...

I saw myself in a picture while playing with my two boys (now 3 & 5) on the slip-n-slide, and from that point (two years ago) til now I have watched what I eat. Started easy just by cutting back with portion size and quit eating late. Then I got more into it after I saw the pounds coming off, since I weigh myself every morning. I started eating salad nearly everyday for lunch from a grocery store salad bar. Since it's a grocery store they sale it by the lb, so you know exactly how much you're eating. So my salad is .5 lbs normally. I started off at 217 lbs, dropped down to around 154, but since have went back up to 160. Had to buy all new clothes and etc. This was by dieting only, no 5 miles walks or etc. I love it and feel great.

Lawrence, you must indulge in something you love once a week or so, but my tip is to do it for lunch, not after dinner. Anything you want (keep portions in mind) is best at lunch with a light dinner.

If I didn't want my face plastered all over I would share a before and after. :)

From a reader, to you, it can definitely be done! Keep at it!