Monday, June 6, 2011

Does the universe make sense to you?

Lawrence Toppman:

So I go a week without exercise, except for one indifferent treadmill session. I eat a big plate of ravioli in cream sauce Saturday night at Sweet Meadow Cafe in Salisbury, accompanied by lots of fresh bread for sopping. I sneak cookies. And somehow, I lose a pound and get down to 185.5, so I'm nine to the good.

That's the frustrating thing about watching your weight. You do the wrong things, and you get happy results. You go the carrots-and-blueberries route, maybe sneaking in a little biscotti, and the scale gives you the Bronx cheer. A pattern does not manifest itself, though I think it should.

Nonetheless, I climbed onto the treadmill today for my usual two and a half miles up an incline, watching the immortal Clark Gable-Jean Harlow film "Red Dust." I ate a healthy Indian lunch, having just a little rice pudding for dessert, and came back to the office to treat myself to raisins.

And by next Monday, when I weigh myself again after a week of virtuous endeavor, I'll probably bemoan the painful result. Sometimes, life doesn't make a blasted bit of sense to me.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. All you can do is keep doing the best you can, and 3 months, 6 months, 9 months from now, you'll have a better sense of how your body is managing the exercise and diet.