Monday, June 20, 2011

Sit-ups

Lawrence Toppman:

I did a sit-up today. I didn't like it. I did 10, actually, just to get the rhythm. Not for me.

Once upon a time, sit-ups were my thing. I did 100 at one clip every year in elementary school, when we took the test administered by the President's Council for Physical Fitness. On the first day, I was in the top percentile for America. After we got around to pull-ups and running, I dropped into the Pudgepots With One Physical Skill group.

I still walked my 2.5 miles on an inclined treadmill this morning and burned 350 calories. And if you could watch old Jean Harlow-Clark Gable movies while doing sit-ups, I might be willing to assume the position. But unless I can exercise while devoting most of my brain cells to entertainment, I have no chance of breaking a sweat.

Weigh-in today left me at 10 pounds below my starting girth, so I've slipped back a bit. Salad for lunch made a spinach stromboli possible for dinner. I'm going to do better this week.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Here's a challenge for you....You should come out to Freedom Park on Thursday for the Do Life Tour. It's an informal walk/run 5K and meet-up with two brothers and their dad who have been working on this for a while and are traveling across the country promoting healthy life choices. Lots of encouragement, positive talk, and highjinks!

http://bendoeslife.tumblr.com/


Details:
http://dolifetour.tumblr.com/post/6054539095/charlotte-nc

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8SbXgQqbOoU

Anonymous said...

You can't just "cardio" away the pounds brother! You gotta up the protein, cut down on simple carbs (especially late in the day), and work weight-lifting into your routine. If you cut protein out of your diet - you will "cardio" away as much muscle as you do fat. And if you're not breaking a sweat by lifting and building lean muscle - then you're wasting your time if you really want to get in better shape.

Anonymous said...

I absolutely hated sit-ups when I started exercising last August. Hurt my back and my neck. I found the solution and now do 100 or so a day. Get an exercise ball. It can be used for many, many exercises so it is a worthwhile spend. Get one small enough to get your legs over in a V when you lay down. Pull the ball all the way into your bottom which will flatten out your spine so it doesn't arch when you do a sit up. Do a small, movement crunch, pushing your pelvis down as you raise your shoulders slightly. I brace my neck with my hands but do not yank on my neck when I come up. No neck or back pain when you do it this way so you should be able to do more than 10 and you should "like" it more - allowing you to repeat
daily. Eventually, you will get strong enough toclasp the ball between your bottom and your calves, raising the ball, while you crunch, on every other rep of 10. This gets a different set of stomach muscles - again making you stronger. Oh, for upper abs, an ab wheel, if used correctly works terrifyingly well. You'll hurt like mad after you use it but it is a good hurt. Works upper abs in a big way.

Anonymous said...

Music, music, music....AND you can sing in your head. Get the rhythm going and you can do sit-ups all day long! And if you just don't want to do that many, DANCE! If there's no one around, it doesn't matter how silly you look. It's good for your body and good for your soul!