Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Take an evening summer walk


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

This time of year, one of my favorite ways to get in a little extra exercise is by taking evening walks.

There's nothing nicer than spending a few minutes wandering outside on a warm summer evening. You can hear bugs chirping and quiet evening birdsongs. The sweet smells of honeysuckle, wisteria and freshly cut grass will inevitably be in the air.

But what I really like about taking walks in summer is the soothing effect they have on my psyche. If I am worked up about something and feeling stressed, nothing clears my mind and calms me down like taking a walk. Just 20 minutes of fresh air and quiet can make even the biggest problems feel a little bit better.

And evening walks have become a time I can catch up with my husband or chat with a friend. Those conversations are healing, too.

I'd like to welcome summer today and encourage you to go for a walk one evening this week. Every step counts in your journey to better fitness.

2 comments:

brizzyabc said...

was my comments on bike riders in mcalping park hurting people trying to walk in park. My neighbor just suffered a broken hip, it is too dangerous. Bikers go 30 miles an hour and I know at least personally that have been hurt badly. you can not hear them behind you and move a fraction the wrong way and that is the end. Eithor separate bike lanes or a forced warning "beep beep" PLEASE

Anonymous said...

Where do you live? Where I live, it's hot and humid and buggy all evening. The air is crappy. The only time I can cope with being outside in Charlotte summer is in the 6 am - 7 am hour. Three seasons a year I spend lots of time outdoors, but summer? No thanks!