Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Halfway through burpee challenge


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

Over the weekend, I hit day 50 of the 100-day burpee challenge, and I feel like I'm finally starting to see some results.

As the number of burpees I'm doing each day increases, this challenge has definitely become more difficult. The first few weeks, doing my daily burpees wasn't something I had to plan for. Now, it is like adding another workout to my day.

Not that adding a workout is a bad thing. I am seeing some results. My arms feel stronger now than they did when I started (thank you, pushups), and I can do larger sets of burpees than I could before.

It does take time to do 50 plus burpees and if you're already tired from a long run, it's even harder.

But my daily burpees give me a form of workout I wasn't already getting. It's that concentrated mix of strength training and cardio that really makes you break a sweat. It's taken a while for me to see the benefits, but they are definitely there. I'm becoming much more appreciative of this daily routine.

As I was looking at my calendar last week, I realized that day 100 of the challenge falls on my birthday. I'll be turning 30 this year, and somehow knowing that I'll be able to do 100 burpees by then makes me feel pretty good as I say goodbye to my 20s.

0 comments: