Thursday, June 23, 2011

As Bugs Bunny said....

Lawrence Toppman

..."I've seen better heads on a glass of root beer." I refer to the nitwits who paid for a study, reported yesterday in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution, that says eating too many potato chips can make you fat. (www.ajc.com/health/potato-chips-are-piling-984759.html).

"They're very tasty, and they have a very good texture. People generally don't take one or two chips. They have a whole bag," said obesity expert Dr. F. Xavier Pi-Sunyer of the St. Luke's-Roosevelt Hospital Center in New York. In other news, eating thermometers gives you mercury poisoning, and swallowing bullets gives you overexposure to lead.

Did anyone NOT know that we tend to gorge on potato chips, and that cramming down food containing lots of fat and salt can't be good for us? Did we really need a study by Harvard University scientists to tell us that, or even to tell us that what we eat affects weight loss more than better habits and exercise?

In the 40 years I've been overweight, I've always known why, just as smokers know they're likelier to get lung cancer or emphysema. I realized potato chips are pudge pills; I just liked them, so I didn't care. The problem wasn't ignorance but will power.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wait, so eating poorly makes me fat? I thought it was the potato chip's fault I wasn't losing weight! I love this column...thanks to you three for your insight and your humor in what can oftentimes be an unfun battle!

Anita Blanchard said...

What I thought was so interesting was the research didn't just trash potato chips and french fries---even boiled potatoes with no butter make you fat, while nuts of any kind/amount help you lose weight.

We have officially banned all potatoes in our house and are making a big bowl of trail mix with lots of nuts and dried fruit for our snacks.

We're also going to eat yogurt every day, too.

Anonymous said...

I don't eat potato chips, potatos or drink soda and I am FAT! After seeing this study, I just do not understand how this could have happened. lol