Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Diving into swimming


Elizabeth Templin McCamic

I've decided to add swimming to my workout rotation. This is somewhat easier said than done because I am not a great lap swimmer.

Growing up, I never learned proper strokes. I am perfectly adequate swimmer. I like the water; I can mimic various strokes and stay afloat, but I don't have the right technique for fast and smooth swimming.

So, I am doing a little remedial swimming right now. I started with a short session last night and hope in a few weeks to be swimming laps on a regular basis.

My hope is swimming will be a good fill in for running some days when I either don't feel like running or am too sore to run. I worry that all the running I'm doing will be hard on my body over the years, and I'd like running to be a lifelong habit - so I'll soon be doing a little less of it from week to week.

How do you mix up your workouts? I'd love to hear from you.


1 comments:

Anonymous said...

There are many adult teams in Charlotte, with swimmers of all levels. Why don't you join one of those?