Monday, August 29, 2011

The infallible diet, part 2

Lawrence Toppman

I started to write last week about the only guaranteed way to lose weight I've ever found: a heartbreak so intense it takes away the appetite for days. I didn't consciously want to lose weight. In fact, I didn't consciously want to do anything, except shrivel up into a little ball and get rolled away by a dung beetle during my accidental "diet" 30 years ago.

But lose weight I did, while my misery lasted. The problem was, as soon as sadness wore off after a few weeks, my body decided to "right-size" itself. I hadn't re-educated myself or changed any eating habits, so I slowly but surely crept up to the slightly overweight level I had maintained for years.

I didn't even have to eat to make myself feel better, which is a tradition in my family. (And, I'm convinced, among Jewish families in general. And they're not alone, if the Italian mama of my best friend in high school is any example.)

So this time, I'm retraining myself. I know when to walk away from the dessert table and when to skirt it altogether. I've waited almost 40 years as an adult to figure this out, and I'm happily married, so I can't count on the Depression Diet for the foreseeable future.

I never did find out what happened to my first love and her lust object, the test pilot known as Wichita. I hope whatever skies they're flying, together or apart, stay sunny.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The only way to lose weight is to cut back on sugars, increase your protein, and exercise. Slow and steady. You may not see results immediately, but don't give up! I've lost 20 lbs since January! Yes, it took 7 months to lose 20 lbs. But that's almost 3 lbs a month.

It's hard to lose much more than that working everyday and attending evening activities/events. Make time to exercise, cut back on the sugars (cut them out if you can) and increase your protein. It works for me.

My goal is to lose 10 lbs more and maintain that weight. Changing my eating habits has changed my appetite. I only eat half my meal when I go out to eat. Or my friend and I will split an entree. It's more than enough food for two ppl.

Good Luck! Slow and steady!

Anonymous said...

All you have to do is reduce your calorie intake not necessarily sugars, although its a good idea to ELIMINATE sugar not reduce it. There is absolutely no need to to increase protein, it won't help lose weight and Americans get more than enough protein already. The reason you're losing weight is because you have reduced calories not because of increased protein intake. Anyone can lose at least 8 lbs a month if they put any effort into it

Anonymous said...

Losing weight is actually pretty easy. The first step is always the willpower. The second step is your diet. Learning how to eat is head and shoulders above everything else you could possibly do. Cutting out all sugars? No. Cutting out all carbs? No. Cutting out all fats? Please. Cutting out animal products and processed food. Yes! I became a vegan at the first of July with the very occasional slip up (mostly not even realizing I was eating animal products). I went from 255 lbs to 233 lbs (this morning) in less that two months. Thats 22 lbs. I haven't been under 240 since I was in college over 10 years ago. I have ran 3-4 times a week for as long as I can remember but could never get under 250. With the diet change it dropped so easy I couldn't believe it. If you truly do want to lose weight, lose the animal products. You will be amazed at how quickly you can drop the weight. A lot of people say they can't live without meat, and that's ok. There is nothing wrong with an occasional hamburger, but exactly that. OCCASIONAL! Like once every 2-3 months. There are plenty of great substitutes out there for meat and a lot of resturants offer a healthy option. Make sure to take it! I hope this helps!