Monday, August 1, 2011

I spent $300 on you!

Lawrence Toppman

So I call Nordic Track about my broken treadmill. The cracked rear endcap, a two-foot piece of plastic with holes for bolts, will cost $129 to replace. (This is the law of supply and demand: They have all the supply, so they can demand whatever the ^%$#@! they want.)

I also have to spend $139 for a technician to repair it, because I may have knocked something else out of alignment while pulling the endcap off. But I can't make an appointment with one until the part arrives -- which, a week later, it hasn't.

I had to think hard about this. I could buy a cheaper treadmill for $300 above the repair cost, consigning the old one to a landfill. I could turn it into a rack on which my wife could drape drying clothes and bags of books. But if I did that, I might relapse permanently into such a steady state of inertia that an earthquake wouldn't move me six inches. And what kind of blog would this be if I stopped halfway to my weight-loss goal? A true-to-life one for most of us, but still....

So I burdened the MasterCard. In the interim, I spent $32 for a comfy-looking exercise mat that would let me do sit-ups and push-ups until the machine is fixed. Then I threw out my back so badly that I could barely walk and have spent the last two days icing myself and thinking deep thoughts from a recumbent position. (I climbed out of bed today specifically to write this blog. For you, o reader, I sacrifice money AND comfort.)

The scale still says 183.5 pounds, 11 under the starting position, despite no exercise and a few days of indulgent eating during a visit by my parents. The fates are letting me off the hook for a bit, it seems. But I hope that Nordic Track endcap arrives before my own gets bigger.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Cmon, man, what a colossal waste of money. A treadmill? What's wrong with running or walking outside? The lifespan of treadmill weight loss is short versus really taking up the sport and doing it in the great outdoors. There are very few days in Charlotte annually where you can't exercise outside.