Monday, August 22, 2011

I ain't superstitious....

Lawrence Toppman

... but days do seem to run in a pattern for me. The ones that start well almost always continue smoothly. Packages and checks show up in the mail, and bills don't. No reader finds an obscure mistake in one of my stories. None of the aged cats decorates the hardwood floor with the remains of a recently ingested cricket.

But when my bones made the same noise as crackling firewood as I got out of bed this morning, I knew Monday would not be one of those days. I'm paying now for carrying 13 large bags of pine bark mulch in and out of a car and over to a garden. Nor did I get much sleep, as I idiotically drank a 16-ounce latte just before going to bed.

So I knew, I knew, that when I got on the scale, it would read higher than last week. Sure enough, I'm up a pound. Of course, that could be the pound of latte I guzzled 10 hours before. And I was weighing myself with socks on, which I normally don't do. And it was at 10:30, instead of the usual time of noon....

Lazy dieters look for excuses like those. (And I have more, which I'll spare you.) But I'm back on the treadmill every day, so this week should be better.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hang in there Lawrence! It didn't go on overnight and it doesn't come off overnight. The main thing is to keep your positive attitude, keep up your exercise in a moderate way you can sustain over a long period of time, and keep eating sensibly and sustainibly. You are doing great!