Thursday, August 18, 2011

If only salads were real food.....

Lawrence Toppman

The old me regarded salads as leafy objects designed to be embedded between the teeth en route to huge, dripping entrees. The new me regards them as helpful aids to dietary success, to be taken at lunchtimes instead of massive infusions of carbohydrates.

The new me does not feel full.

You'd think a vegetarian would embrace kale and kohlrabi with fervent joy. But I'm really more of a fruitarian (and a grainarian and an icecreamarian). So while I recognize that spinach is good for me, I like it best on a thick slab of French bread as an accent to cheese and basil pesto dressing. (OK, a tomato can be on there, too. And some caramelized onions.)

When I was a kid, I understood the value of veggies but wished for a pill that would allow me to consume all their vitamins while leaving plenty of room for French fries and cake. Sadly, science has never investigated this civilization-changing possibility.

I'm trying to behave myself. But I realize now that the only mixed greens I really like have pictures of presidents on them.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "fruitarian?" As the local reviewer I'm sure you've seen the movie Notting Hill. While Hugh Grant is trying to get over Julia Roberts his friends invite over lots of girls for him to meet ... one is a "fruitarian" ... someone who only eats fruits and vegetables that have fallen from the plant of their own volition. Cooked carrots, for instance, have been MURDERED according to her. I hope you're not THAT kind of fruitarian.

Anonymous said...

An important part of getting used to salads is to make them taste good. What really holds people back from consuming raw vegetables is the myth that salads are nothing but chopped vegetable and leaves. Check out this pdf for a good salads that can be a complete meal: Salads cookbook

Anonymous said...

You have to add a protein to a salad to fill full, like chicken, boiled eggs, or chickpeas. Add those with the spinach, red onion, carrot, grape tomato, feta or parmesan cheese, black olives, red peppers, maybe some brocoli and green leaf lettuce, romain lettuce. Then you might feel full. It's dinnertime. I'm getting hungry.

Anonymous said...

Why is it so important to feel full? A good meal is not solely intended to make you full. This is why so many people are lardos these days.