Monday, January 24, 2011

Adultery vs. gluttony

Lawrence Toppman: 

I decided, after committing one of these sins over the weekend, that there are two significant differences. First, gluttony is permissible while your wife looks on or is a willing participant. Second, traces of gluttony are harder to get rid of, especially when you weigh yourself on Monday mornings.

A vast plate of sweet potato fries, regular fries and fried onion strips was my downfall. As I was ordering an appetizer at Cowfish Saturday night, my brain said "Edamame." My belly said, "You've been good this week. Chow down on salt and fat!" I couldn't hear what, if anything, my brain said after that.

I ate so much of these delicacies that I could barely finish the stuffed eggplant, roasted potatoes and broccoli in the main course. (What Toppmans pay for, they eat. Yes, I realize I could have taken most of the entree home and made another dinner out of it.)

Like many adulterers, I was conscience-stricken the following morning. Unlike them, I was still bloated. The good news is, I didn't gain any weight last week. My transgression didn't cost me TOO much, but I can't stray that way again....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

One of my Weight Watchers leaders says that's like running a red light and not getting caught.
Do it too often, and you will...

Anonymous said...

you have to let yourself go a wee bit once a week - maybe not for a whole day, but one meal won't hurt.
:-)

Donna Earnhardt said...

Transparency is a good thing... especially when doing something new in your diet. Sharing this with the world is hard, but maybe it helps a bit, too.

Thanks for sharing. NOw get back on that wagon! :)