Friday, January 14, 2011

Triathalon Training

Ellyn Ritterskamp:
My mom and I signed up as a team for the Ramblin' Rose sprint triathlon in Rock Hill in July (there are others in the Carolinas all year). I will swim 250 yards, she will bike ten miles, and I will run two miles.

So right now I am training myself to run two miles. I just never have been a runner. My coach says my body needs to learn how.

There's an indoor track at my Y that's 1/16th of a mile. The first day, I walked four laps and ran one, then walked three and ran one, then two and one, then alternated for the rest of the two miles. 40 minutes, same as my walking speed.

The second day, I walked three and ran one, walked two and ran one, then alternated. Even that tiny change made it go two minutes faster.

Or more likely, I miscounted laps....

Ellyn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations for signing up for the Ramblin' Rose. I and about 8 of my neighbors did the Huntersville one last year and loved it! We're all planning to do it again this year, hopefully with a few other women from the neighborhood who came out to cheer us on last year. Best wishes with your training!

Kate said...

Try not to focus too much on speed right now. It is easy to get caught up in the numbers; but like your coach said, your body has to get used to running first! You have plenty of time to get faster before July. Great idea getting your family involved in your fitness goals!

Andi in Ktown said...

I highly recommend the Couch to 5K plan (Google it - you'll find it). There's even a really good set of podcasts that you can load onto your IPod if you have one (I don't know the link, but Google it and you should find it.) It's a very sensible program.

Good luck!!