Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Tonight, I go on my first training run

Elizabeth Templin McCamic

Today is Day One in my half marathon training schedule. I'll go for the first run on the schedule after work.

Last night, I felt the same anticipation I used to feel before the first day of school. I was excited to start something new and ready to get started. I was also a little nervous.

Like any good student I've been preparing for today. I started off by following a stretching routine and letting my IT band heal (it's feeling better, so hopefully I really will be able to log in some miles this week). I bought a new pair of pants, a hat and a pair of gloves so I stay warm during those long runs outside. I've been going to bed a little earlier so I'm well-rested. And I've been eating better. Last night, for example, I made baked fish, mashed cauliflower and peas for dinner. For a snack yesterday afternoon, I had hummus and baby carrots.

It's these little changes that I hope will help me ease into my new schedule. I'll be running five days a week and gradually increasing my miles. The longest run of the week is on Sunday. The shortest is on Tuesdays. By week three I'll have to go for my longest run yet, six miles. By week four, my long run will be half the distance I'll run on race day. And in 12 weeks, I'll run my first half marathon.

It's going to by quickly. I hope I'm ready.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ah naturally it's raining.

I hate running on a treadmill. I think one of the added benefits of this is that I've gotten a little tougher about the weather. That and I've accumulated quite a collection of running gear.

Don't let it dampen your spirits.

(come on that was a good one)

Elizabeth said...

I'm going to try to be strong and still run outside, even if it's a little rainy. Thanks for your support and thanks for reading!

Doug said...

Congratulations on your half marathon goal. I'll be doing my first half marathon at the Southpark Racefest too. The training runs get easier, at least it isn't as hard to motivate myself to get outside and run. It's strange, but for somebody who doesn't consider himself a runner I am actually starting to look forward to some of my runs.

Good luck with your training!

Elizabeth said...

Doug, thanks for your note. I'm glad to hear training gets easier. I think once I'm used to the routine, I will be OK. This week it's been a little hard, though I'm enjoying it. Good luck with your training! See you on race day.