Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Get thee behind me, Satan!

Did you ever notice how often people offer you food -- delicious, sugary food -- when you're trying to lose weight? My co-workers just held out a bag of Moose Munch, whose first two ingredients are corn syrup and sugar. I declined, nostrils quivering.

To make this slimming procedure easier, I have walked away from four office parties since the start of the year (and tried to keep a smug smile off my face). I never realized how often food floats around the Observer newsroom, whether brought in by employees or dropped off by companies wanting to promote a new product. Oddly, no one ever seems to send us ramen noodles or miso soup.

I used to graze gently, or what I thought was gently, at these events. I'd pick up a small brownie here, maybe a cookie there and -- wait, over there, a tiny oatmeal bar! I find it easier to abstain these days, rather than trying to choose among the treats. I know now that it takes a village to raise my pants size.

Lawrence Toppman

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Satan has nothing to do with this.

Anonymous said...

I had a "friend" who was determined to sabotage my diet by doing just this on a continual basis. I would feel guilty because she made it and would accept a little more of this or that. I would object and she would guilt trip me. My refusals became stronger only to be pressured more--like it offended her. One day, I cracked. She piled on 2 pieces of cake and large scoops of ice cream in spite of my protests. I announced I would not eat it. She actually demanded that I do and literally refused to remove the plate or its contents. I threw it right in the garbage in front of her. Solved that problem. Maybe she wasn't the devil, but she was evil!

hiprhyme said...

So... today is the 12th day of the year. The 1st was a holiday, and we've had a few snow days recently. And you've already had FOUR office parties this year?!?!?!?

Anonymous said...

Anonymous, your "friend" makes my blood boil! I'm glad you threw the plate in the garbage. What's wrong with people?

Unknown said...

Will one of you PLEASE try Jazzercise?!?!
There are all of these programs out there that constantly reinvent the same things with a new spin or product. Jazzercise is the original dance exercise prgram, has been around 40+ years (um - they may have something here), is disturbingly fun and amazingly effective. Check them out. Seriously. www.jazzercise.com. Your readers would benefit from and enjoy your account of Jazzercise - you've got to be just a little bit curious??