Friday, January 21, 2011

There's a small hitch in my training plan

Elizabeth Templin McCamic

I haven’t written much about my half marathon training yet because I haven’t logged very many miles. In fact, I’ve not been running much at all the last few weeks.

In late December, I went for a run and had a lot of pain in my left hip, which continued to ache afterward. I did a little research, consulted with friends who are runners and figured out that my IT band (Iliotibial band) was unhappy. I tried running a couple times after that in the new year but experienced similar pain.

I tried not to panic since I’d just committed to run my first half marathon and instead spent a lot more time stretching, icing and using a foam roller. I can’t say that this process hasn’t been frustrating, but I do have a greater appreciation for those days when I could run and walk without pain.

On Wednesday, the 60-degree weather and sunshine tempted me to hit the dirt track near where I live. I went for a slow 3-mile run. It felt great to be outside again, to feel the cool air on my legs and face. I made it 2 miles before my hip started to ache and even then it wasn’t nearly as bad as earlier this month.

I hope if I keep up my rolling-stretching-icing routine that I’ll be able to increase miles soon. In the meantime, if you see me out there give me a little wave of encouragement. I need all the help I can get. And if you have any tips for my poor IT band, let me know.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel your pain. I ran a half, injured by IT Band, took a month off and started to retrain. I then reinjured myself even worse than the first time and now can barely walk/run without pain. Take time and do it right is the best lesson learned here.....Good luck!

Elizabeth said...

Thanks! I'm hoping to push through and get back to training soon. A friend who has run several marathons suggested that I try getting a massage that just focuses on my legs. Maybe that would help you too? I might just give it a try - anything to get back out there!

Anonymous said...

I seem to have a tendency to experience IT band tightness and then subsequent injuries; especially where it attaches to the outside of the knee. I have found myself canceling planned races, buying all sorts of niche compression products, and spending tons of time and money on physical therapy. None of that (besides the rest) worked very well. My advice? Be as dedicated to icing as you are to running and ALWAYS do this stretch after you run:

Place one foot just above it's opposite knee (making a 4 with your legs) and squat like you're sitting down in a chair. Press gently downward on the leg you are stretching. Switch legs and repeat.