Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Snow released my inner snacker

Elizabeth Templin McCamic:

So far it has been hard getting to the gym. Over the holidays I got out of my normal routine and it has been tough finding my way again.

There’s something about the cold weather that makes me want to just curl up under a blanket and take a nap. I think of it as hibernation mode, when I want to eat warm, comforting foods and spend my time indoors.

Then, just when I was getting back into working out, we had two snow days. At first it was frustrating to be out of my routine when I was just getting back to the gym. Then my inner snacker took over. I didn’t even have great snack food at home, but I still found food to eat, and I helped my husband polish off the last of our holiday goodies.

Now I’m trying to make up for it. I planned a week’s worth of healthy dinners over the weekend - mostly salads, fish and vegetable-based soups - and made several trips to the gym. My pantry is rid of tempting snacks and when I went grocery shopping I kept to the perimeter of the store, so no cookies or ice cream made it into my cart. I hope these steps plus a few warmer days will help me get back on track.

What do you do to stay on track? I’d love to hear your tips.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I realized that maintaining a proper weight involves a lifestyle of proper diet and exercise. That is the only answer. It's okay to have a dessert or snack, but to do it in moderation. If you do overindulge, don't despair, just get back into your proper routine.

Anonymous said...

Track what you eat on Fitday. When I see the scale go up- I start recording and it is a stark reminder of how fast snacks add up. Then as I eat healthier, I amazed at how much I can eat when I make good choices and I reset what is correct to be eating.

Elizabeth said...

Thanks so much for your comments. It's very encouraging to hear from folks who have this diet and exercise thing figured out. I will definitely check out Fitday - great tip!

Anonymous said...

A few things that help me stay on track is that I try not to get too mad at myself for getting off track. Sounds simple maybe but it can make a difference and create a downward spiral of staying off the track for way too long. I also try to plan healthy snacks with just as much importance as breakfast/lunch/dinner. If I'm craving sweets, I tell myself to eat a piece of fruit first (which usually stops the craving for a cookie).

Anonymous said...

we are our own worst enemy and victims of technology. the main thing to focus on is re-training your mind. Gyms are expensive. the best exersise in the world is free- walking. i recently moved to the area and i am enjoying all the parks with trails in the woods! simple rules- dont use or say the word DIET, drink water before anything else, stay away from white food( rice,bread, pasta,)or anything fried! keep it under 1500 calories a day,,walk 5 miles( we average 3 all on our own so its not that big a deal) do not deny cravings as you mentally beat yourself up- and watch those serving amounts!