Thursday, February 24, 2011

Cornering the cake market

Lawrence Toppman

Yesterday morning brought the company-wide bake sale for the Arts and Science Council. As a sugar addict with a conscience, I let Fate decide whether I was supposed to buy anything. I would purchase desserts only if items were still there when I went home at 8 p.m.

Either Observer kitchen elves were insanely busy the night before, or many of my co-workers have sworn off sugar, because I climbed a mountain of leftover baklava, pound cake, brownies and the like. So I had a choice: Think selfishly about my own waistline, or empty my wallet in support of the umbrella group that backs dozens of local cultural organizations.

I bought 22 pieces.

But ate...none! They were all packed into a plastic bag and shoved to the bottom of my freezer, where they will be brought out over the coming weeks to satisfy intense cravings for sweets and (SPOILER ALERT TO MY WIFE) surprise my spouse on happy occasions. Culture wins, my palate wins and my beloved partner wins. And my scale can't reprimand me -- yet.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

GREAT job - the not eating part. I would hope to do the same thing but would be very worried about raiding the freezer on a tough day. Might you? Those goodies would call to me. Everytime I opened the door for ice or a Lean Cuisine, I'd think, "There is a piece of baklava in there, a microwaion on my counter and no one home to see me eat it - just this once.". Why have the temptation? Bake sale suggestions when you "have to" participate. Give them 22 dollars and ask the organizers to feel free go take home what they'd like or but it and immediately drop it off at your church or temple for Sunday coffee. If you have the will power not to have it call to you and not to eat it - you GO! Just a reality check.

Anonymous said...

Sorry for the typos - the second suggestion is to BUY it, not but it!