Wednesday, February 16, 2011

This stuff still tastes like oatmeal

Ellyn Ritterskamp

Those diabetes nutritionists - they want to show how many choices there are within a responsible diabetes diet (keep an eye on those carbs). I want to say, "Just tell me exactly what to eat at every meal. This having options thing is too freeing." But they think they're helping, and probably that is a great strategy for folks newly diagnosed. But I've had this diagnosis for a few years now, and it's not really working all that well for me.

Most of my life, I want to make choices. Not with this. For a while, at least, it would be great if I could just follow a meal plan that didn't have gobs of choices. I have just enough of those pesky Asperger's traits that it is sometimes nice just to be told what to do.

I will start with oatmeal today, which, no matter what you do to it, still tastes like oatmeal. My friend did convince me to not go the instant route with it, but at least do the 9-minute steel-cut oats. And I put a little butter and cinnamon in it.

But it still tastes like oatmeal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

How do you do steel-cut oats in 9 minutes? It takes mine at least 20.

Anonymous said...

Try mixing a little Peanut Butter in your Oatmeal. It adds some extra protein, plus it tastes great!

Anonymous said...

Maybe it IS 20. I have thrown away the box with the instructions, and kept the oatmeal in a baggie.

I will try the peanut butter, thanks.

Ellyn

Unknown said...

I have to join the oatmeal conversation! Have you heard of Coach's Oats? Our oats have a patented process. They have steel cut texture and taste, but cook in 3 to 5 minutes on the stove or in the microwave.

Also, topping oats can be endless! Are you more a savory fan or sweet? You can add pureed pumpkin, bananas; peanut butter is always great, cocoa powder w/frozen berries etc.
For savory we have tried, cheese with some egg whites, a sunny side up eggs on the oats with your choice of seasonings. It's heart health month, enjoy your oats!