Thursday, February 3, 2011

My roller derby workout

Elizabeth Templin McCamic

Last night, I worked out with the Charlotte Speed Demons, a local women’s flat track roller derby team. I know it was a good training session because it was hard to get out of bed this morning and my muscles are aching, including a few muscles I didn't know I had.

The Speed Demons train about three days a week on and off skates. I worked out with them for 30 minutes yesterday and then watched the team skate. During the off-skate workout, we rotated through six stations, spending a minute at each. We did exercises like jump rope, lunges, tricep dips and crunches.

Then we divided into two groups. One of the coaches put down two cloth ladders on the gym floor. We did drills that, like hopscotch, required stepping precisely in each square at a running pace.



This was when my lack of coordination became apparent (that's me in the red T-shirt). The players ran through the squares quickly, one after another, stepping into each one. I went through slowly at first, then realized it’s actually easier the faster you go - though I’m not sure I ever did the exercises exactly right.

We ended the workout by running sprints across the length of the gym. By then I felt worn out but in a good, I just worked it, way.

The coolest part of the night was when the team skated. A coach had them skate 25 laps in five minutes (or less). The goal was to stick together and move as a unit. As the skaters in the back of the pack got tired, some of the faster skaters dropped back and pushed them forward so they could stay with the group. No one was left behind and they finished in 4 minutes, 39 seconds, breaking their last record by two seconds.

The Speed Demons are preparing for their next bout, 6 p.m. Feb. 26 at First Ward Recreation Center. I am looking forward to seeing them in action.

Meanwhile, I must have done OK last night because they encouraged me to come back. We'll see how it goes next time.

5 comments:

Rebecca Bailey said...

It was so great to have you! You did really well and we all hope you come back soon. We look forward to seeing you at the Feb. 26 bou t too. Wait until you see some awesome roller derby action...you're going to love it!

Reg said...

You did Great!!!! Looking forward to having you back.

JennPhillips said...

You did great! Come back and join us soon!!

Paige said...

There is so much more in store for your next visit - looking forward to seeing you again soon! :)

Elizabeth said...

Thanks to all for your encouragement. I had a fun time working out with the Speed Demons. It seems like one key in all of this is having fun, so I'll definitely come back.