Monday, February 7, 2011

(I Hate) Portion Control

Lawrence Toppman:

That title sounds like a rock song, doesn't it? It's my new theme.

I have reluctantly accepted the idea that I need to cut down not only on the things I eat but the SIZE of the things I eat. I got a little reinforcement today, when the scale slipped back and forth from 192 to 192.5 and finally flopped in my favor. (Another half-pound gone -- alert the media!) But it's tough.

I brought tiramisu home for dessert last night. Now, I love me some tiramisu. I once had a cat named Tiramisu, because she was sweet, and her colors were brown, gray and white. (Really.) After a burst of fat-person thinking -- "If my wife never saw this, I wouldn't have to share it!" -- I split the piece with my spouse. My portion was the size of a Brillo pad. I ate it with a miniature fork to make it last longer.

This is the norm now. When I want half-and-half in my coffee, I use half as much as I used to. (Hmmm...does that make it guarter-and-quarter?) I am allowed to eat all the Brussels sprouts I can stand, which would be none, but I should eat half a PB&J sandwich instead of a whole one.

I know I need to make good habits last a lifetime. But sometimes good habits are bad news.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

you might want to stop eating tiramisu altogether. you could eat your bodyweight in zuchinni for the same number of calories. you make the call, suck on a little piece of cake or walk away with a full belly.

Mel said...

Have you tried roasting Brussels sprouts? This recipe is easy and delicious!

Unknown said...

Eat your 1/2 serving of Tiramisu. Sounds much better then a fully belly of Zuchinni. (Brussel sprout recipe sounds AMAZING though - try them, you might LOVE them) You will burn the sugar and have much fun if you did some Jazzercise! Just say'n.

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

It's amazing when people have to struggle to be healthy.

Eat to live or live to eat?

Being "addicted" to jogging is easier and cheaper and more fun that being addicted to some fluffy no substance cake wanna be.

"Fat people waddling about at Walmart" there's a subject for an article, go write that .

Rod T said...

I can SO identify with this!! My idea of portion control is stopping when I get to the bottom of the ice cream bucket! My doctor says "walk and eat rabbit food". If God meant for us to walk, He wouldn't have invented cars, and I HATE rabbit food! Best wishes to you, Larry; I've tried and failed many times, so I know it's hard. YOU, however, CAN DO IT! One day at a time.

Anonymous said...

I'd take the little piece of cake that maintains a healthy state of mind over my body weight in zucchini that leaves me with a load of disappointment any day. You're doing it the right way. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Good luck to you. I am in the early stages of my weight loss journey. I have lost 5 lbs as of this morning using Nutrisystem! I started one week ago last Friday.

That whole program is about eating often but in smaller portions.

So far so good here; but you will get where you need to go also! Wishing you the best.

Anonymous said...

Drink a full glass of cold water before eating anything. It will leave less room for food and you'll eat a little less without having to tap into Mr. Will Power. Try green beans instead of sprouts. They are great filler and taste good too!

DAVE HAGER said...

My sympathies amigo. I have reverted to my LA diet which is : Cheerios with 1% milk [I need to go back to skim but haven't gotten there yet] and turkey/lettuce roll ups & one can of low fat soup plus an added can of whole kernel corn added in for fiber. [Corn is one of the best high fiber items]

I used to walk 4 miles a day but the arthritis has nixed that so I am making no headway. I have hopes though.
Good luck.
Dave